Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

What is the name of notation/syntax used by Saviynt to parse XML in SOAP connector?

yogesh2
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Saviynt's SOAP connector doesn't use XPATH to parse XMLs, instead it uses a format like this:

Body.Create_Position_Response.Position_Reference.ID(@wd:type=='Position_ID')

What is this notation called? It is similar to xpath with some changes like it is using "." instead of "/" but it is not xpath.

Is this some standard notation / syntax? How can I learn more about this notation?

Does Saviynt convert the XMLs to JSONs internally and then parse them? What library does it use for this conversion?

Basically I want to learn this notation so I can parse any arbitrary paths but I don't know the name of this notation so dont know where to start.

Literally any information would be helpful. 

1 REPLY 1

rushikeshvartak
All-Star
All-Star

The notation you're referring to, used by Saviynt's SOAP connector, resembles a variant of JSONPath adapted for XML, sometimes called XPath-like JSONPath or JSONPath for XML. This notation is not a widely recognized standard like XPath, but it is used in certain tools and contexts to provide a more JSON-like syntax for XML parsing.

Here's a breakdown of its characteristics:

1. Dot Notation: Instead of using the typical XPath slash (/) to separate levels in the hierarchy, it uses dots (.), similar to JSONPath.
  2. Attribute Handling: Attributes in the XML are accessed using a notation like (@attribute=='value'), which is somewhat similar to the way XPath handles predicates but with JSONPath-like syntax.
  3. Contextual Elements: This notation can navigate through elements and attributes in a way that mimics the structure of JSON rather than XML.
  4. To learn more about this notation, you can start by understanding the basics of both XPath and JSONPath:

1. XPath: Get familiar with XPath expressions and how they navigate XML documents. Resources like W3Schools' XPath Tutorial can be helpful.
    2. JSONPath: Learn how JSONPath queries JSON structures. Websites like jsonpath.com offer interactive tools and documentation.

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find the response useful, kindly consider selecting Accept As Solution and clicking on the kudos button.