Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

UM campaign user update rules are not getting triggered when end date is extended

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Team,

When managers extended the end date through campaign User update rules are not getting triggered.

37 REPLIES 37

SumathiSomala
All-Star
All-Star

@iam01 Please share you user update rule configurations

Regards,
Sumathi Somala
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@SumathiSomala for testing i have created all 3 update rules. 

1) through UI

2) through API

3) through import 

And the condition I added is "end date" is updated.

@iam01DId you create userupdate rule with trigger action when user is updated from UI

and action below?

SumathiSomala_0-1700488262255.png

Regards,
Sumathi Somala

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

And the condition I added is "end date" is updated.

Action: create user update task

@iam01 refer below forum thread

(1) Solved: How to trigger a campaign from userupdate rule - Saviynt Forums - 53182

• Create a User update rule with action Launch Certification.
  • Select Manager from dropdown.
  • Click Campaign Configuration to create a campaign for the user update rule.For config details refer here
  • When the user attribute mentioned in the rule is modified in Saviynt Access Manager and matches the condition, then user certification will be saved to be launched later in Saviynt.
  • Go to Admin >Job Control Panel>Attestation and schedule LAUNCHCERTIFICATIONFROMRULEJOB to launch campaign for all the users modified and matching the rule.
Regards,
Sumathi Somala

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@SumathiSomala No what you saying is about triggering the um through user update rules.

My question is about, when manger extends the end date of user on employment verification. Those changes are updated on user profile then user update should trigger.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Darshanjain does saviynt support this feature?

@iam01 : You still follow the same steps @SumathiSomala highlighted. Below is how it happen

• When manager extends the date of user, Saviynt will evaluate if there are any user update rules with matching condition and then stages the campaign to be launched later based on configuration you have. Now to launch the certification you have to schedule the job of type: LAUNCHCERTIFICATIONFROMRULEJOB which will look for all staged campaigns from rule.

You can refer the documentation here: Launching Campaigns from User Update Rule 

Regards,
Saathvik
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos to help others facing similar issue.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@sk  there is 2 ways to launch the campaign one by user udpate rules and other is on schedule bases.

The question is not about how to trigger UM based on user update rule. Its about after the campaign is launched manager choose option "extend end date". This is one of 4 options you have in UM actions.

When you launch the campagin and manager extends the end of the user on "employment verificaiton" and submits the campaign. The user end will be get updated. i want to trigger based on that. 

@iam01 : Okay I misunderstood then. So you are trying to say when manager extends the end date through campaign and completes it. But after that user update rule is not getting triggered 

Regards,
Saathvik
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos to help others facing similar issue.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yes @sk 

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@sk  i think you misunderstood and this thread is going in wrong direction!  can you follow below steps on your side to make it easy!

1) Launch a UM campaign with employment verificaiton by navigating to certificaitons page(admin console). IN UM campagin select extend date for "Show Employment Status Options"

iam01_0-1700502310263.png

2)once its launched, extend the end date of user on certificaiton and submit the certificaiton.
3)after locking the certification. Go to the user profile and check if end date, if its getting updated with new date.

if you follow abow steps, then my question was, is there anyway to capture udpate event.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@prasannta

Similar to previous post. kindly share your inputs 

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

any update on this @prasannta ? @sk  were you able to test by following the above steps?

Hi @iam01 ,

I tested this in 23.11 and it seems to be working. Please validate the steps that I followed -

• Create a UM Campaign with the Option of Extend End Date enabled in the employment status options.
  • Launch the UM campaign
  • Extend the end date for the user at Step 1
  • Lock the certification
  • Post locking the certification, the end date is getting updated at the user level.
  • If there are user update rules based on end date, then that user update rules are also getting triggered.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.29.19 PM.png

Please let me know if any of the steps mentioned above is wrong.

Thanks.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@DaanishJawed  could you please share the "user update event" which you configure for update rules?

Thank you so much.

Hi @iam01 ,

This is the user update event in my user update rule -

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 1.31.24 PM.png

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@DaanishJawed  could you please share "Trigger Actions when" 

Hi @iam01 ,

Trigger actions when user is updated from the UI

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 2.56.49 AM.png

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@DaanishJawed a quick follow up question, when you terminate a user through campaign is that updating the enddate along with comments and that event also captured in user update rules ? Could you please test this on 23.11

I have tested this on 23.7, the behavior is when a user is terminated through campaign, saviynt is updating the comments filed and updating the status to inactive however enddate is not updated and term date is getting updated and use update rules are not getting triggered.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@DaanishJawed  I have tested for termination, no update rules are triggering. When you terminate a user, campaign will update comments and term date for both update rules are not triggering.

I found a bug as well, when you terminate a user campaign will update the comments fields. Now active the user and leave the comments field with value. Rerun the campaign and terminate the user. Expected is it should update the comments with new campaign details and update user status to inactive. However it's not working.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@DaanishJawed  have got a chance to check the above when its terminated.

pruthvi_t
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @iam01 ,

When you tested termination through campaign, did you keep the trigger action when as updated from UI??

Can you please let us know on what is the business usecase you're trying to achieve here. As Daanish mentioned, rule is getting triggered when the enddate is being extended on the UM campaign.

So are you testing the same on term date?

Thanks,

Regards,
Pruthvi

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi @pruthvi_t 

business usecase : when a um campagin terminate the users we want to end the user work contract on HRMS system as well.

When you tested termination through campaign, did you keep the trigger action when as updated from UI??

ISSUE 1:

<< Yes, when a user is terminated, 3 attributes are getting updated (comments,status and termdate). I have created the update action from UI for 3 attributes. However the rule didnt get triggered.>>

i have a workaround for ISSUE 2 this is just FYI

ISSUE 2:

Additionally what i observerd is when a user is terminated through campaign it will add comments and update status and enddate. Now consider i reactivated the user and left the comments as it is. 
I have reran the um certification and again terminated the user. what i observerd is comments are not getting updated with new value and in history i can see both the values and most importantly user status is still active. 

It only works when i delete the comments in user field then campaign is changing the status to inactive.

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dhruv_S please find the requirement

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@pruthvi_t  any update?

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @iam01 

For the issue1, I tried to replicate the issue and rule is getting triggered and tasks are getting created for me.

1. Created below rule with trigger action when user is updated from UI

TestUM1.PNG

2. Extended the end date of user from UM campaign and locked the certification. 

3. User update rule got triggered and tasks got created. Please find the screenshot below.

TestUM3.PNG

TestUM2.PNG

Please note that I have tested this scenario for end date extension and not for termination.

If the requirement is for termination, please use term date and not the end date in user update rule.

Please let me know if you are seeing a different behavior.

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dhruv_S  hi, extend end date is working for us as well.

The issue is when you terminate the user then user update rules are not triggering. Kindly confirm if user update rules are triggering for termination.

Issue 2 looks like a bug with comments field, could you please confirm.

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @iam01 

Could you please share the screenshot of the user update rule. We will replicate similar and let you know.

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sure, will share the screenshot shortly.

I have created 3 userupdate rules with isupdated (comments,term date,status) And trigger action is update on UI

Also kindly test:  enable the user after termination and leave the comments with old value. Again terminate the same user from campaign. 

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dhruv_S 

iam01_0-1704920972327.png

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @iam01 

When you terminate the user from UM Certification, Remove Accounts/Remove access tasks will get created from certification itself. What other action do you want to trigger from user update rule-please let me know and share full user update rule. 

For creating remove accounts task user update rule using term date is not even required. From the below screenshots you can see the remove accounts/access tasks are created post terminating the user through campaign.

Img_UM1.PNGImg_UM2.PNG

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dhruv_S  am aware that will trigger remove account/access task.

My requirement is update the term date to workday.  

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Other issue i have noticed is, when you complete the remove account task. The identity comments field get updated with details of certification.

Follow the below steps:

1) enable the identity. Leave the comments fields as it is.

2) launch the campaign and terminate the same user.

3) expected behavior is user status is set to inactive and remove account task get created.

What I observed is until unless you don't clear the comments field campaign will not update the indentity status.

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @iam01 

Thanks for prompt response.

Your original query was - User update rule is not getting triggered when user is getting terminated from UM Actions.

The action you want is to update term date in target (workday) Have you used "Update account task" in the actions then ? Is that task not getting created you mean ?

Is the term date part of update account JSON ? If not then how the term date is going to update in the target? Please check and confirm and share the full screenshot of the userupdate rule with actions as well (as requested earlier).

Comments issue is different hence let us take not merge that issue in this. 

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

iam01
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dhruv_S I will share it shortly. I think there is miss understanding the issue is rule is not getting triggered. 

prasannta
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @iam01 

I tested the scenario to terminate users from User Manager Campaign. The terminate action sets the status flag to Inactive, hence you need to configure the user update rules to check if status has been updated and status is set to Inactive. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks