Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Role Mining for Birth Rights

VicyB
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hello everybody,

we are currently looking for a way to apply Role Mining to receive the Birth Rights.

Unfortunately, when we try to perform the Role Mining, our mining doesn't result in any role.

The steps we performed:

1. Go to Intelligence > Role Intelligence > Role Mining
  2. Select "By Users"
  3. We filter for all active users coming from our HRMS system (leaving out system admin users for consultants etc.) and click on "add all" + "Next".
  4. We then select the relevant entitlement types (relevant AD group type and SF group type) and click on "add selected".
  5. We entered the following in the "Select Access Type" section:
    Select Type of Access to Mine: NotAvailable
    Based On: Used by All Users
    Select Number of Roles: Optimal
    Mine Entitlements per Function: No
    Percentage Cut off: 60%
    Minimum entitlements per Role: 1
    Minimum Users  per Role: 1
  6. We then clicked on "Save and Go to Workbench", entered a final name and continued to the Workbench.
  7. When the role mining process was "COMPLETED" and showed "completed successfully" as comment, we navigated to the Role Workbench.
  8. In the Role Workbench, we navigated to the Role List overview which did not show any role created based on our role mining process.

When creating the role mining process, we also stumbled across the following questions:
- Which use case does the setting "Mine Entitlements per Function" apply?
- If we would select the mining based on "used by any user", would this result in a role that simply has the sum of all entitlements of the users?
- What is the effect of the Percentage Cut Off?

If you can advice in any regard, we are happy to learn some more about the best practice with the role mining for birth rights.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

prasannta
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @VicyB 

Can you try to run role mining process by reducing the percentage to 10% and Based of to All Entitlements?

Based On: All Entitlements
Percentage Cut off: 10%

Please find below response for your additional questions:

- Which use case does the setting "Mine Entitlements per Function" apply?

If you want your Roles to align with the functions within a particular business process then select Yes > Select associated Business Process. You can find more details on business process at below link:

https://docs.saviyntcloud.com/bundle/EIC-Admin-v23x/page/Content/Chapter16-Segregation-of-Duties/Man...

- If we would select the mining based on "used by any user", would this result in a role that simply has the sum of all entitlements of the users?

This selection will select all entitlements that have been used by any of the selected user in the 1st step.

- What is the effect of the Percentage Cut Off?

It would mine on access, which is associated with the % of users selected. If the percentage cut-off = 60%, it would mine on only the access which is associated with 60% users. For initial testing, you can set a lower value and based on result you can increase the percentage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

VicyB
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hello @prasannta ,

thanks a lot for the help!

With the settings you recommended, the role mining now results in roles (also when multiple systems are incorporated) and we can continue with the role mining for birth rights.