Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Workday: Can we update custom objects (say for users in WD) i.e any custom attribute from Saviynt

mbh_it
Regular Contributor II
Regular Contributor II

Hello Team,

I need to implement below usecase first time and not sure if feasible, hence kindly provide details so I can share it to customer.

Customer needs to Update custom objects of user (say Users CustomField X), is it feasible with SOAP connection as they prefer SOAP, if not what is the way to handle it?

Also share some sample code if you have, so I can understand the same!.

Thank you,

Mahesh

15 REPLIES 15

sai_sp
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

@mbh_it please refer to this default. You can configure the customproperty value as mentioned below. https://docs.saviyntcloud.com/bundle/WD2-v23x/page/Content/Default-Payloads-for-Connection-Parameter...

<bsvc:Maintain_Contact_Information_for_Person_Event_Request bsvc:Add_Only="true" bsvc:version="${API_VERSION}">
<bsvc:Business_Process_Parameters>
<bsvc:Auto_Complete>true</bsvc:Auto_Complete>
<bsvc:Run_Now>true</bsvc:Run_Now>
<bsvc:Comment_Data>
<bsvc:Comment>Updated By Saviynt</bsvc:Comment>
</bsvc:Comment_Data>
</bsvc:Business_Process_Parameters>
<bsvc:Maintain_Contact_Information_Data>
<bsvc:Worker_Reference>
<bsvc:ID bsvc:type="WID">${user.customproperty1}</bsvc:ID>
</bsvc:Worker_Reference>
<bsvc:Effective_Date>${CURRENT_PROV_TIMESTAMP}</bsvc:Effective_Date>
<bsvc:Worker_Contact_Information_Data>
<bsvc:Email_Address_Data>
<bsvc:Email_Address>${user.email}</bsvc:Email_Address>
<bsvc:Usage_Data bsvc:Public="true">
<bsvc:Type_Data bsvc:Primary="true">
<bsvc:Type_Reference>
<bsvc:ID bsvc:type="Communication_Usage_Type_ID">WORK</bsvc:ID>
</bsvc:Type_Reference>
</bsvc:Type_Data>
</bsvc:Usage_Data>
</bsvc:Email_Address_Data>
</bsvc:Worker_Contact_Information_Data>
</bsvc:Maintain_Contact_Information_Data>
</bsvc:Maintain_Contact_Information_for_Person_Event_Request>

mbh_it
Regular Contributor II
Regular Contributor II

Hello Sai,

I am aware about using CP in users table, the question is say workday user has additional custom object(attribute), can saviynt Update it? if yes, how ? I hope you understand my query.

Also specify the connection parameter in connector (WD connection) , as well as from which version it is supported?

I see following in documentation, will that allow update of users custom attribute(object)?

UPDATE_USER_PAYLOAD
This payload is available from Release v23.11 onwards.

Thanks

Mahesh

SB
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

In case you want to update an attribute in WD based on the attribute information that is present in Saviynt,  you can create a Writeback connection using Workday SOAP and then try the update of info in WD. This can be triggered based on a User update Rule. 

The UPDATE_USER_PAYLOAD is only available from 23.11.

Regards,
Sahil

mbh_it
Regular Contributor II
Regular Contributor II

Hi Sahil,

We have 23.7 version and, our query is : Is it possible to update a custom attribute object in workday?

I am not clear if you are sure about these 23.11 will solve custom object updates as well?

Thanks

Mahesh

SB
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

For your scenario I have suggested to try with a SOAP connection. For the UPDATE_USER_PAYLOAD available from 23.11, it is ideally used to only update the Contact information of the user in WD. Let me though still check if any other attribute can also be updated.

Regards,
Sahil

mbh_it
Regular Contributor II
Regular Contributor II

Hi Sahil,

Looking for the details on Custom attribute objects update, meanwhile we are looking to check this however our env is on 23.7. 

Thank You

Mahesh

SB
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

For 23.7, you can create a new connection for writeback (REST or SOAP based on your requirement). Create a User update rule and also configure UPDATEUSERJSON with the attribute you want to update from Saviynt. 

Regards,
Sahil

dkongvon
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

[This post has been edited by a Moderator to remove the tagging of other forum users. The tagging of employees and other users to get attention on your post is strongly discouraged. If we allowed this type of behavior the people tagged would be spammed with forum messages on a daily basis. We only allow tagging of other forum users or employees when they have already involved themselves in the forum thread.]

You can implement by creating new connection , hence this is possible, 

FYI :From 23.11 new connection creation is not required 

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find the response useful, kindly consider selecting Accept As Solution and clicking on the kudos button.

dkongvon
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@kumartapan311   😁

dkongvon
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

SB
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

The last error mentioned in the above forum post is because no security system was created for this connection. A SS has to be created for this connection to work and the task to be successfully provisioned by WS retry job.

Regards,
Sahil

dkongvon
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@SB are you talking about Kirti's post?  Thank you sir.

SB
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Yes, I am referring to Kirti's post.

Regards,
Sahil

dkongvon
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Per private conversation, @Sunil was going to also ask internally today for any other solutions and Reassurance that creating another connection and using the user update rule for UPDATEUSERJSON.  Thank you team Saviynt!