Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Saviynt API UpdateUser request

nmuzinic
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'm having some issues with update user request, when I try to update user with this method via Postman I get an error: user username is not allowed to update.

Request body:

nmuzinic_1-1705332017564.png

Response:

nmuzinic_2-1705332062272.png

User which I'm using for Saviynt API has all the web service right assigned on the SAV API role, I'm not sure what is causing this error:

nmuzinic_3-1705332137348.png

19 REPLIES 19

rushikeshvartak
All-Star
All-Star

User name is unique identifier and not allowed to update

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find this response useful, kindly consider selecting 'Accept As Solution' and clicking on the 'Kudos' button.

Hi @rushikeshvartak,

According to the Saviynt API documentation (link) username is a mandatory parameter as it indicates which user is being updated:

nmuzinic_1-1705342211207.png

send comments parameters also 

Did you configured below in global configs ?

rushikeshvartak_0-1705342702749.png

rushikeshvartak_1-1705342726694.png

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find this response useful, kindly consider selecting 'Accept As Solution' and clicking on the 'Kudos' button.

Hi @rushikeshvartak,

I've added username to Mandatory Fields In Register User (not sure why it has to be defined as this setting is marked as deprecated). Also I've added a comment but the result is the same -  412 Precondition Failed:

nmuzinic_0-1705344325463.png

Please share parameters mandatory for you - configured under global configs

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Hi @rushikeshvartak ,

Here is the screenshot, prior to your suggestion I didn't have any attributes selected (I've tried adding systemusername also but it didn't help):

nmuzinic_0-1705390260173.png

Any attributes configured for create user request form 

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

But create user request (createUserRequest endpoint) worked fine without adding any of these attributes, I'm having issues with updating users through updateUserRequest endpoint.

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @nmuzinic 

Are you using any workflow in user modification? If not, then why are not using UpdateUser API instead? Could you please check if you can update the user with UpdateUser API (Without Workflow) ?

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

nmuzinic
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi @Dhruv_S,

Well that was my question also in this post, what is the difference between create/updateUser and create/updateUserRequest. We need to expose the Saviynt API to a vendor to push data into Saviynt (create and update users) and in the mentioned post create/updateUserRequest was suggested by your colleague. All we really need is to be able to do these actions in bulk using Saviynt API. Other option is SFTP integration which is mentioned in the post, but I'm not sure what happens once the file is downloaded to Saviynt and if we can do any preprocessing if needed.

To answer your question updateUser works fine, the only difference I see  is that this request is not logged in the Request history but update is visible on the user Update History.  Can this information be used in analytics (if needed)?

You can query on user update history table and fetch in analytics

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Share attributes configured in identity config in global config

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Hi @rushikeshvartak,

I'm not sure what you are referring to, the screenshot I've shared is from Global Config -> Identity lifecycle.

rushikeshvartak_0-1705551175540.png

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Hi,

Here is the config:

nmuzinic_2-1705563164623.png

nmuzinic_5-1705563257709.png

nmuzinic_6-1705563319513.png

nmuzinic_10-1705563464750.png

can you try sending all this attributes from register form in postman

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Hi @rushikeshvartak,

Unfortunately still the same result, even when I add all attributes that are used in the user register form still the same result for updateUserRequest endpoint (as I've mentioned previously createUserRequest works fine even with a few mandatory attributes):

nmuzinic_0-1706538254970.png

@rushikeshvartak - do you have any experience with the SFTP integration, what I got from the documentation file can be downloaded to Saviynt, but I'm not sure what happens once the file is downloaded to Saviynt and if we can do any preprocessing on users if needed.

Try user which does not have @ in username

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

nmuzinic
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

It didn't work and also users in my case have an @ character in username. If it's not supposed to be used than it shouldn't be allowed in that attribute. And if the issue is in the @character than create user request shouldn't work either. I'll raise a ticket in hope that this one will be resolved.