Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Auto Generate Password- Issue with provided regex

Alex
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi, 
I try to setup the regex to automatically generate passwords during the reset or change of password. 
I tried it first with the regex provided in this documentation:
(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[~!@#$%^&?]).{8,12}
The only adaption that I performed is, that I change the length to be between 20 and 22. 
If I know try out the generation on the UI, I get sometimes values, that are not meeting the defined requirements; Examples:
Too short:

Alex_0-1695807704317.png

To short not number or lower case:

Alex_1-1695807785907.png

Is there something else I need to consider for the auto generation?
Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @Alex , I tested the above regex and it is working fine. I also tried with modified versions of the same expression with respect to length of the password it was working fine.

Examples 

(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[~!@#$%^&?]).{8,12} was generating a password in the length range of 8-12

(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[~!@#$%^&?]).{15} was generating a password of length 15 every time.

Could you please check and confirm if the above regex was tried in correct password policy at user level/application level. 

Alex
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi @Dhruv_S,
I can confirm that the right applications are used. Can you also try to generate the password like 30 times. Sometimes it is popping up after 5 tries, sometimes later. 
Can you try it also for service account as you can perform here the tries faster.

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

@Alex , I checked it for more than 30 times, I found 1-2 times it gave the length less than expected. Let me check on this further and let you know.

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @Alex Please submit an FD ticket for the same. 

Manu269
All-Star
All-Star

@Dhruv_S I even tried the following combinations :

(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[~!@#$%^&?]).{8,12} was generating a password in the length range of 8-12

(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[~!@#$%^&?]).{15} was generating a password of length 15 every time.

Version : v23.6

Observations :

For me most fof the hits (out of 40 - ~10 hits) were not behaving or giving right result.

Please let me know the resolution @Alex based on your FD.

Regards
Manish Kumar
If the response answered your query, please Accept As Solution and Kudos

Alex
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi @Manu269,
my FD got resolved with the comment - "Fixed with release 23.10". As this version is currently still not available for public, I cannot verify this statement. Let's check the release notes, whenever they are released.

Alex
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dhruv_S  done

@Manu269  will do as soon as I receive a valid solution for this.

Alex
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi @Manu269 @Dhruv_S 

we have received 23.10 in our dev env and tested the potential bug. The issue is still NOT resolved and therefore I have created another ticket.
The support could replicate the issue in their instance and this is currently an open JIRA on the engineering side. I assume a fix will come in a later version.