Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Serial Workflow w Escalation

smadabh
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hi, 

We are looking to create a workflow that allows the following scenario:

"When a role is requested, the approval request must go out to all owners with Rank1 and any one of them should be able to approve. If no one approves for a certain amount of time then the request must go out to Rank2 owners and ANY of them must be able to approve the request."

Please see the workflow below:

smadabh_0-1697212012551.png

Test Results:

This workflow sends the request to the Rank1 Owners and after 35mins, its status changes to Escalated but the request never went out to Rank2 Owners. It auto-created the tasks in the pending state. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Please advice.

11 REPLIES 11

SumathiSomala
All-Star
All-Star

@smadabh may I know the purpose of if- else block in workflow as both true and false nodes connected to same. 

Regards,
Sumathi Somala
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos.

@smadabh 

I have replicated the workflow and it worked as expected. Waited for 35 Mins and request got escalated to next approver. Approved by next approver and task got created. Post approving the task, it shows access granted. 

Please refer to below screenshots. Please try again and also check the request history if it shows any issue there.

Request history screenshot:

A3.PNG

Workflow screenshot

A4.PNG

Regards,
Dhruv Sharma
If this reply answered your question, please accept it as Solution to help others who may have a similar problem.

@Dhruv_S : Escalation block is sending approval to all owners right? @smadabh Requirement is to send it to Rank2 Owners. Were you able to validate with same?

@smadabh : Do you have any Rank 2 Owners assigned to respective entitlement, Also like @SumathiSomala asked why you have used if-else block if both nodes are going to same block?

Regards,
Saathvik
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos to help others facing similar issue.

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

@sk @smadabh 

As of now, I have replicated the scenario with only specific users (Not with user groups) as Rank owner 1 and Rank owner 2 respectively.  For one user escalation request was received as expected. I think it should work fine with user group as well. I will replicate and let you know.

@smadabh , can you please let us know about the above questions asked by @sk and @SumathiSomala .

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

smadabh
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Yes, I do have a Rank 2 owner assigned to the role that I am testing with.

This workflow is part of a bigger workflow that we are already using today. In the original workflow, the else goes down to 'Grant Access' box. 

I let it go to the same because of the message in the screenshot that I attached. 

I did this just for the sake of testing to overcome what was written in red in the screenshot below.

smadabh_0-1697499770171.png

rushikeshvartak
All-Star
All-Star

It works as expected try removing if else block from your workflow 

rushikeshvartak_0-1697334278541.png

rushikeshvartak_1-1697334298173.png

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find the response useful, kindly consider selecting Accept As Solution and clicking on the kudos button.

@smadabh 

Please let us know if you are still facing any issues. Please use If-else block only if required. Here if-else block is not required. Workflow is working with and without if-else block.

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

smadabh
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

We need the if-else box. 

I did try removing the else part and letting it go to 'Grant Access'. In this scenario, it directly went to the 'Else' condition(Grant access aka auto approved)  because of the message in red in the above picture that I attached. Please take a look and advice. 

smadabh_1-1697500156598.png

Dhruv_S
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @smadabh 

The initial issues you had raised was that the request is not going to rank 2 owners for approval, but as tested by us, it is going to Rank 2 owner for approval. You can refer to the screenshots above posted by me (with if-else) and @rushikeshvartak (without if-else). 

Could you please confirm if that issue is resolved.

Regarding the use of entitlement variable in if-else (serial workflow), it is clearly mentioned that it is not supported and always go in else block hence you cannot validate your if entitlement condition there. 

Regards,

Dhruv Sharma

smadabh
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hi, 

The above solution worked.

We have an added requirement now that asks to check and see if a rank 2 owner exists on the entitlement or not before escalating. 

The requirement is send approval request to all rank 1 owners and if no one approves for 35mins, then check if the role has rank 2 owner. If yes, send request to all rank 2 owners, else auto reject. 

I am having trouble finding the exact attribute to use in the 'if condition'. The one in the screenshot does not work. It leaves the request in pending state for rank 1 users even after escalation. 

What condition can I use to satisfy the requirement?

smadabh_0-1699398737755.png