Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

EPIC Connector Questions

jake
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all,

Hoping to gain some clarification on the EPIC connector. The following is what I found in the Epic connector guide [Using Classic Integration (saviyntcloud.com)]:

Using Epic Data for accounts and access import

Epic provides exports of EMP and SER data in an XML format with Microsoft Excel tags. Saviynt provides a custom extension jar to convert these XML files to CSV files used for account and access import.

Based on the above, we have several questions on implementing the Epic connector on Saviynt for import functionality:

1. The Chronicles Setup for Epic Data Export section in the Epic connector guide [Using Classic Integration (saviyntcloud.com)] provides the steps to generate the EMP accounts import data:
    1. Can these steps be scheduled?
    2. Can this job send the EMP account report to a Saviynt SFTP server?
    3. What location on the Saviynt SFTP server should this file be copied to?
  2. As per the connector guide, Saviynt provides a custom JAR that transforms the Epic EMP accounts import file into a CSV file.
    1. Does this custom JAR come out-of-the-box on the Saviynt server for customers using the Epic connector? 
    2. Does this custom JAR get invoked when you schedule the EPIC import job on Saviynt? 
  3. The Import_File_Path parameter on the Epic connection form has two file names, both EMP and SER. Can we have only the following value for Import_File_Path if we only want to import EMP (not SER)?:
  4. {
    "EMP File": "EMP_File1.csv"
    }​
  5. For importing accounts and entitlements, I see "EMP_DATA_MAPPING_JSON" parameter on the connection JSON form. The connector guide has a sample JSON for this attribute. Can we use this sample JSON as it is in this parameter, or if not, where can I find the details on how to customize this JSON?
  6. What are the types of entitlements Epic connector pulls into Saviynt on Import.
  7. What is the difference between EPIC and EPIC (EPIC) connection types? Which one is recommended for running imports of employee accounts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance with these questions.

Regards,

Jake

16 REPLIES 16

DixshantValecha
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @jake,

We are looking into your request and we will keep you posted.

DixshantValecha
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @jake,

Kindly let us know if you are following the below mentioned documentation for EPIC connector.

Link:-https://docs.saviyntcloud.com/bundle/EPIC-Guide/page/Content/Understanding-Integration-between-EIC-and-EPIC.htm

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. We are following this integration guide: https://docs.saviyntcloud.com/bundle/Epic-v23x/page/Content/About-this-guide.htm [EPIC Connector]. All of the questions in my original post are based on my analysis of using the above EPIC Connector for the integration with Saviynt.

We are looking for Saviynt's Epic connector to return accounts and entitlements [templates and subtemplates]. To achieve this, which option/connector is the preferred/recommended option by Saviynt?:

1. [LDAP Connector] https://docs.saviyntcloud.com/bundle/EPIC-Guide/page/Content/Understanding-Integration-between-EIC-a...
2. [EPIC / EPIC (EPIC) Connector] https://docs.saviyntcloud.com/bundle/Epic-v23x/page/Content/About-this-guide.htm

Based on your responses, we will investigate further into what connector to use.

Please advise, thank you!

Best,
Jake

DixshantValecha
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @jake,

Thanks for the update ,I am working  internally for your request and we will keep you posted.

Hi @DixshantValecha ,

Thank you for looking into this. I have updated the original set of questions in my original post.

Regards,

Jake

Hi @DixshantValecha ,

Curious if there are any updates to this request. Thank you for checking into this.

Regards,

Jake

Dear @jake,

I appreciate your patience, and I have gathered the necessary information in response to your recent inquiries. Below are the details:

1. Regarding questions 1 and 6, I am currently investigating these internally and will provide you with updates shortly.

2. For your question about Epic XML files, it is essential to copy these files onto the Saviynt server. This allows Saviynt to utilize a custom JAR for converting the XML files into CSV format.

3. The custom JAR responsible for converting Epic XML exports into CSV files is provided by Saviynt. To utilize this functionality, the JAR needs to be installed on the Saviynt server. Please note that it does not come pre-installed for customers using the Epic connector. Should you require assistance with the installation process, feel free to reach out to Saviynt support.

4. Yes, you can use a consistent file name, provided that the file name remains unchanged.

5. In the context of importing accounts and entitlements, the "EMP_DATA_MAPPING_JSON" parameter on the connection JSON form is crucial. You can utilize the sample JSON provided in the connector guide as a foundation for customization. This sample JSON serves as a basic mapping of CSV file fields to corresponding Saviynt fields. Feel free to modify this mapping to align with your specific requirements.

7.Clarification on the "EPIC (EPIC)" connection type: "EPIC (EPIC)" serves as a connection         template specifically designed for the "EPIC" connection type.

Please review the information provided, and should you have any further inquiries or require additional details, Please let us know.

Hi @jake,

Here are the updates for questions 1 & 6:

1. Chronicles interface is configured to generate and export the EMP and SER XML files. The newer approach is to have a DB view created out of Epic and use Saviynt DB connector for Data import instead of files. For both setups, customers need to contact the Epic team by creating a ticket in App orchard.

6. We support many entitlement types, each column in EMP and SER table can be treated as an entitlement type. Templates & SubTemplates are primary examples. Roles are not a type of entitlement in Epic.

DixshantValecha
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @jake,

Thank you for your patience. We are presently in the process of concluding our response with the internal team. Upon receiving confirmation, we will promptly provide you with an update.

sunrashinkar
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello Dixshant,

Thanks for your prompt response. Our Saviynt technical expert also recommended us to use the Staging DB connector which will get data EPIC DB.

I have these following questions on the Staging DB method:

1. How data gets from Epic to the recommended intermediary database? Does the client has to write any SQL queries to pull data into the intermediary database from the EPIC DB? Do we have the SQL scripts to pull data which I can recommend it to the client?

2. I see that the staging DB should be SQL serve DB? What is the recommended version of the SQL staging DB?

Here is the flow of data from EPIC DB to Staging DB:

sunrashinkar_0-1708058070326.png

Waiting for your response......I have recommended the client staging DB option and we w

Thanks

Sunil

sunrashinkar
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello Saviynt Team,

A response on my above set of questions is highly appreciated.

Tks

Sunil

sunrashinkar
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello Saviynt

Any update on my above questions.

Tks

Sunil 

DixshantValecha
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @sunrashinkar,

Thanks for your patience,We are reviewing your request and we will keep you posted on the same.

sangitaladi
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Team

A gentle reminder on the above request.

Regards

Sangita ladi

DixshantValecha
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. We are currently conducting internal investigations regarding your request, and we will provide you with an update shortly.

sangitaladi
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Team

A gentle reminder on the above queries.

Regards

Sangita Ladi