Saviynt unveils its cutting-edge Intelligence Suite products to revolutionize Identity Security!
Click HERE to see how Saviynt Intelligence is transforming the industry.
Saviynt Copilot Icon

Email change in Workday

Kaustubh
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

We have a logic to generate email for users which is working fine.

There is a requirement that if email of user is changed in Workday, then it should be updated in Saviynt as well.

For this,
1. If we map Saviynt workday field with Workday email field, will the email be blank for newly onboarded users?
2. If yes, then how do we achieve this use case?

If writeback does not happen for some reason, then in next recon, email will become blank again.

Can we write a preprocessor query with condition like NEWUSERDATA.email != CURRENTUSERS.email or add null check in import user json?

Kaustubh Pawar
Saviynt Certified IGA Professional
6 REPLIES 6

NM
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Kaustubh , if you are generating email from saviynt it will pass the same to workday.

2) for null check you can have a condition like if newuserdata.email is null have currentuser.email else newuserdata.email.

Kaustubh
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi @NM. Thanks, I will try with preprocessor query.

We are generating email using email generation rule.

Need a confirmation that if I map Saviynt email field with Workday email field, then will email in Saviynt become blank for newly onboarded users as email field in workday is blank? Or will the email generated by Saviynt be there?

Kaustubh Pawar

NM
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@Kaustubh yes it will after triggering user import 

1. Will the email be blank for newly onboarded users if Workday’s email field is blank?

Yes, if the Workday email field is mapped directly to the Saviynt email field, and the Workday email is blank for newly onboarded users, the email in Saviynt will become blank during reconciliation. This is because Saviynt treats the incoming data as the source of truth during import, overwriting existing values.

2. How to handle this use case?

Option 1: Use a Pre-Processor Rule with Null Check

SELECT 
    CASE 
        WHEN NEWUSERDATA.email IS NULL THEN CURRENTUSERS.email 
        ELSE NEWUSERDATA.email 
    END AS email 
FROM USERS

3. What Happens If Writeback Fails?

If the email writeback from Saviynt to Workday fails, the next reconciliation could blank out the email in Saviynt unless handled with one of the above approaches. Using the pre-processor or null check logic ensures that existing emails won't be removed during recon.

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If this helped you move forward, click 'Kudos'. If it solved your query, select 'Accept As Solution'.

Kaustubh
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Got it.

I guess you have given the query for reference. I was working on a query that looks like:

"UPDATE NEWUSERDATA SET NEWUSERDATA.email=
CASE WHEN NEWUSERDATA.email IS NULL THEN CURRENTUSERS.email ELSE NEWUSERDATA.email END"

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Also, will the email keep updating after every recon? Because we have user update rule to generate update account task if email changes.

Kaustubh Pawar

NM
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@Kaustubh if it is the same value it won't update it.

Query looks fine.