Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Complex Workflow Creation

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 13 2021 at 05:00 UTC

Hi Team,

We have a following requirement for creating a workflow and need assistance from Saviynt.

Background : 

1) We have created an Application Role (Say Role A). This role has 3 Owners configured. 

2) 2 owners are configured at Rank 1 and 1 owner at Rank 2. 

3) This particular Role is composed of 3 entitlement (Ent1, Ent2, Ent3).

These 3 entitlements are also configured with owner. 

4) Ent 1 --> 2 owners are configured at Rank 1 and 1 owner at Rank 2

Ent 2 --> 1 owners are configured at Rank 1 and 1 owner at Rank 2

Ent 3 --> No Owner Configured

Requirement:

1. Once the request is submitted for this role, it first need to check if it requires supervisor Approval. (Approval reqd. is stored in Role Custom Property1) else got to 2

2. Once Manager approver, Role must go to Role Owner approval. Approval is required from all the approvers. i.e. first both owners from Rank 1 must approve then Rank 2 owner must approve.

3. Once Role owners approve it, the approval must go to Entitlement Owner configured.

For Ent 1 : Any owner from Rank 1 can approve and then mandatory goes to Rank 2 approver

For Ent 2: Any owner either from Rank 1 or Rank 2 can approve

For Ent 3: No Approver

4. In either case of rejection, the request must be rejected.

5. Once all approval is done, grant must be done.

Please assist.

This message was previously posted on Saviynt's legacy forum by a community user and has been moved over to this forum for continued exposure.
14 REPLIES 14

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 13 2021 at 11:27 UTC

Hello Manish, I have one query- Why entitlement owners approval is needed when you are already considering a approval from application role owner? If the request is for application role then isn’t it beneficial to follow the application role owner approval? In order to route the approval to entitlements associated with role you may need to write a custom query to get the approvers associated with each entitlement in role. Thanks, Pallavi Chaudhari
This message was previously posted on Saviynt's legacy forum by a community user and has been moved over to this forum for continued exposure.

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 13 2021 at 11:29 UTC

Hi Pallavi,

Sorry by mistake i have added the application role. Its an enterprise role.

The request must go with above use case.

Check Supervisor approval reqd --> Role Owner -- Entitlement Owner approval.

Kindly help me with workflow creation.

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 13 2021 at 16:44 UTC

Hi Manish,

When you have a Role, be it Enterprise or Application, the best practice is to use the Role Owner approval rather than entitlement owner approval that makes up the Role. In your example you have 3 entitlements, in a real world scenario, the count of the entitlements that makes up a role can be significantly more and would lead to much more overhead.

Regards,

Avinash Chhetri

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 14 2021 at 07:48 UTC

Hi Avinash,

Customer already has a IAM solution running and is in stage to migrate to SSM.

In current solution, Customer already has multilevel approval.

Customer has requirement of Supervisor --> Role Owner --> Entitlement owner with above complexity.

We need a way if we can define the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Manish

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 14 2021 at 23:47 UTC

Manish,

When a role request is created in Saviynt, the workflow has the Role Object. It may not necessarily have the direct access to all the entitlements that makes up the role. You might have to use a custom query to get all the entitlements that makes up the roles and get its owners. Now what is intriguing is that, how will you determine, the "x" number of entitlements that makes up the role, with each entitlements in the role having one/multiple owners,requires single approval or multiple approvals ?

Regards,

Avinash Chhetri

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 15 2021 at 07:42 UTC

Hi Avinash,

I understand the complexity. I will surely take your suggestion to customer.

Can we have this possibility defined in workflow. If yes please share sample

Created A Role -- Say Role 1 (Composed of Custom Property . It says Manager Approval reqd yes or No)

This Role is made up of 3 entitlements.

Can we have Supervisor and Entitlement Owner Approval?

Thanks

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 15 2021 at 19:18 UTC

Manish,

You could use the expression role?.customproperty1 == 'yes' in the If-Else w/f block and route your flow based on the result.

For more examples on it, please check the following documentation : 

https://saviynt.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/43000619101#WorkflowComponents-Condition:If-ElseM...

Regards,

Avinash Chhetri

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 16 2021 at 04:51 UTC

Hi Avinash,

My first query would be handled based on the query you shared.

How would I route the approval workflow for entitlement owner approval for that role?

Thanks

Manish

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 16 2021 at 06:59 UTC

Hi Manish,

Although not recommended, as stated in my earlier response you can try custom task assignment with SQL query to get the role entitlements and associated owner information. 

Thanks,

Pallavi

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 16 2021 at 07:01 UTC

Hi Pallavi,

If possible can Saviynt help us in creating that query.

Role --> Entitlement --> Owner Query?

I would be thankful.

Thanks and Regards,

Manish

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 16 2021 at 15:40 UTC

Manish,

I dont have the query handy but you could use the roles and role_entitlements table using the rolekey to get the desired data. 

Saviynt Schema documentaton is avalable at the following link for your reference.

https://saviynt.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/43000521404

Note :  Depending on the version you are on , you should be utilizing the Data Analyzer feature under Admin > Admin Function to test out your queries

Regards,

Avinash Chhetri

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 17 2021 at 08:13 UTC

Hi Avinash,

I came up with following query :

select
r.ROLEKEY as RoleKey,
r.ROLE_NAME as RoleName,
r.DISPLAYNAME as RoleDisplayName,
CASE WHEN r.ROLETYPE=4 THEN 'Enterprise Role'
ELSE r.ROLETYPE END AS 'ROLETYPE',
u.username as Role_Owner,
ro.rank as Role_Owner_Rank,
ev.ENTITLEMENT_VALUE as EntitlementName ,
ur  .username as Entitlement_Owner,
eo.RANK as Ent_Owner_Rank
from roles r, role_entitlements re, entitlement_values ev, role_owners ro,users u , entitlement_owners eo,users ur  where
r.ROLEKEY =re.ROLEKEY and
ev.ENTITLEMENT_VALUEKEY = re.ENTITLEMENT_VALUEKEY and
ro.rolekey = r.ROLEKEY and
ro.userkey=u.userkey and
(eo.ENTITLEMENT_VALUEKEY = ev.ENTITLEMENT_VALUEKEY and
eo.USERKEY = ur.userkey ) and
r.ROLEKEY=5;

Do let me know how can i use the same in workflow now?

Thanks

Manish

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 17 2021 at 11:58 UTC

Hi Manish,
Custom Assignments in Workflow must result in having only the "userkey" column in your SELECT clause to obtain the appropriate approvers, based on the requirement (it can come from role_owners, users, entitlement_owners table).

Regards,

Adrien.

Community_User
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee
Originally posted on September 17 2021 at 15:21 UTC

Thanks Adrien,

Manish, Please check the documentation for using custom queries for the custom assignment block : https://saviynt.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/43000619101#WorkflowComponents-WorkflowComponents

Regards,

Avinash Chhetri