We are delighted to share our new EIC Delivery Methodology for efficiently managing Saviynt Implementations and delivering quick time to value. CLICK HERE.

Workflow serial vs Workflow Parallel

GFC
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi Team,

I would like to understand the difference between Serial and Parallel Workflows because I know the following concept:

Parallel Workflow.
   -This Workflow completes multiple tasks in parallel at the same time.

Serial Workflow
  -This Workflow completes tasks sequentially; i.e., one step after another.

But when I check the workflows, I see that they are similar, and it is not clear to me when I should select each type.

Is there a very marked difference, or what could affect us in the different cases? If you have clear examples that you can give me, I would appreciate it.

3 REPLIES 3

rushikeshvartak
All-Star
All-Star

Serial workflow holds task creation until all approvals are completed and there are some  variable (entitlement) and block are  (SOD owner approval) only available in Serial workflow

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find the response useful, kindly consider selecting Accept As Solution and clicking on the kudos button.

GFC
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thanks @rushikeshvartak. For parallel workflow, how does task creation work? 

yogesh
Regular Contributor III
Regular Contributor III

For anyone reading this in future, if you request multiple entitlements in single request and all go to different approvers then those approvers may approve those request at different times.

Parallel workflow: The provisioning tasks are created as soon as each entitlement is approved, so if one entitlement gets approved today the task would be created and provisioned and user will get that entitlement. Rest entitlements are still pending approval.

Serial: Provisioning tasks are created  only when ALL the entitlements within the request are approved. So if a single approver took seven days to approve a request then all the other approved entitlements will also be on hold for provisioning. This might be required sometimes. I'm not sure what happens if an entitlement is rejected in this case...

This is what my understanding is from Rushi's comment and may be different from actual behaviour.

The documentation only explains the words "serial" and "parallel" so is not really helpful. Only way to confirm will be to create and test these cases yourself or having a confirmation from someone who has done this.