Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

Understanding Microsoft 365 Connector

Murmur
Regular Contributor III
Regular Contributor III

Hi everyone, 

I'm having a hard time understanding why we need to set up an on-prem server to manage a cloud feature (SharePoint Online) via Savinyt (SaaS). 

Connector Architecture (saviyntcloud.com)

We would like to be able to manage access to SharePoint Sites, Lists, and Files via Saviynt, but right now I'm questioning, why we need on-prem infrastructure to do so. 

Can anyone help me understand this? 

Or is there a better way to achieve this (implemented: AD, Entra ID)?

Cheers 🙂

1 REPLY 1

sudeshjaiswal
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hello @Murmur,

The Saviynt Office 365 connector require an "on-premises installation of an IIS server which required to establish communication between the saviynt and SharePoint".

When this out-of-the-box (OOTB) Office 365 connector was created, the API wasn't available, only the software development kit (SDK) was there.
So, it was required to install the SDK on the IIS server  to connect Saviynt and Sharepoint. That's why it's necessary to have an on-premises IIS setup and have the office365 agents installed for communication.

For more information, see the Downloading Office365ConnectorSaviynt AgentDeploying Office365ConnectorSaviynt Agent , and Updating the Client Credentials in the Web.config File sections

Note:  Installing IIS is a mandatory step for performing import operation.

Thanks.

If you find the above response useful, Kindly Mark it as "Accept As Solution".