Announcing the Saviynt Knowledge Exchange unifying the Saviynt forums, documentation, training,
and more in a single search tool across platforms. Read the announcement here.

How to set Owner on Terminate as Managers manager automatically

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

In this thread https://forums.saviynt.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-set-owner-on-terminate-as-manager-for-exist...

there is mentioned enhancement coming: "Hi Ramanpreet - we have an enhancement in place to set actor has the owner on terminate in addition to setting user explicitly."

Has that enhancement been done, and how it works?

I am looking for a way to update owner on terminate to users which are coming from 2 sources plus from Create user form. SaviyntForSaviynt DB connection, CustomQuery and manual csv user updates are not a working solutions for us.

What solution is can be runned all the time automatically and supported also in v2022?

Regards

Riku

18 REPLIES 18

rushikeshvartak
All-Star
All-Star

Share XML

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find the response useful, kindly consider selecting Accept As Solution and clicking on the kudos button.

avinashchhetri
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

@Riku,

I do not think there is an OOB config to set that automagically. If I'm not mistaken, the owner on terminate field takes the userkey as input, for the user sources, assuming there is a full import atleast a day, I would suggest to explore the pre-processor options. For the create user/ register user form you could try with a dynamic attribute.

Regards,
Avinash Chhetri

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

I am not looking for OOB config to do this. 

I am looking way to code/implement this in a way which is also supported in v2022.

For example does Saviynt update user rest API support setting "owner on terminate" https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/1797923/UUxwBoms?version=latest#c1f8bdef-1040-4e49-b6f3-14d44... ?

Regards

Riku

Did you tried ownerOnTerminate

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak
If you find the response useful, kindly consider selecting Accept As Solution and clicking on the kudos button.

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

What do you mean by this?

Regards

Riku

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Rushikesh

If you mean if i tried adding it via REST api, i didn't tried that as it is not documented attribute.

Have you tried it and is it supposed to work?

Regards

Riku

Yes

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

I tried it now with our 5.5sp3.9 version, and it doesn't work.

It says: 

{
"errorCode": "0",
"message": " User Updated Successfully"
}

but users ownerOnTerminate attribute is not updated/changed.

Regards
Riku

KirtiAjrot
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

If you could try to store the same  in the secondaryManager attribute of the user profile ( same way as you update the manager) , can you then check if this configuration helps?

KirtiAjrot_0-1670589519632.png

You could set this manually or You could use the custom query to set this to -2 (for secondary manager) for all applicable users. 

KA

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

I don't want to use solution having customquery as that can't be used to update user in v2022.

Regards

Riku

pruthvi_t
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

HI @Riku,

In order to achieve this, if there is a provision, we can directly import manager's manager as secondary manager from target system by mapping it as part of user import and then select owner on terminate as 'secondary manager'.

Another option is, you can make use of preprocessor to build a query to get user manager's manager and push it to the secondary manager field of user while running user import. Once secondary manager is populated, you can select owner on terminate as 'Secondary manager'.

Kindly let us know if this would serve the case here. If my understanding is not accurate, kindly elaborate your business use case so that we can review.

Thanks,

Regards,
Pruthvi

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

I am not sure if this works for us. As i wrote, we are getting new users from 3 sources:

• HR import
  • Via Saviynt API from CRM system
  • From Saviynt Create/update user form

I think i could use that preprocessor only for Users imported from HR. How about those other users?

What do you mean with this: "Once secondary manager is populated, you can select owner on terminate as 'Secondary manager'."? I can't see this kind of selection for Owner on terminate? Can you post a screenshot about this?

Regards

Riku

rushikeshvartak_0-1676891492257.png

Regards,
Rushikesh Vartak

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

Ok, that is some newer version functionality. In our 5.5SP3.12 we have only user selection possibility.

Riku_0-1676903248110.png

Regards

Riku

pruthvi_t
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @Riku ,

Once approach that can be used is, you can implement a saviynt for saviynt approach. once all the user imports are finished from the 3 sources, you can run saviynt for saviynt import. You can query to extract manager's manager and update as secondary manager of the user and use the query in the saviynt for saviynt connection. 

As far as setting the owner on terminate value as secondary manager, 

1. Go to users

2. Select a user, user details page is displayed.

3. Scroll to the bottom, where you'd find the option 'Owner on Terminate' . Click 'Select owner on terminate'

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 4.42.49 PM.png

4. A new pop up will open to select with options in the drop down. In the drop down you can select 'Secondary Manager'

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 4.44.58 PM.png

So when the secondary manager is populated, and when owner on terminate is selected as 'Secondary manager' , then you can create a user update rule where you can mention condition as when user's status key is updated to zero, select action transfer ownership for entitlements. This would transfer the ownership to secondary manager when the user is terminated.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 4.47.28 PM.png

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Regards,
Pruthvi

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

We can't select "secondary manager" to be OwnerOnTerminate, in this 5.5SP3.12 version which we are at the moment, so that doesn't help at the moment. (see attachment of our owner on terminate popup)

We also created SaviyntForSaviynt DB connection to set OwnerOnTerminate directly, but that doesn't work for some unknown reason.

Regards

Riku

pruthvi_t
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

@Riku ,

Since the option to select 'owner on terminate' as secondary manager is not available in your version, You can try an adhoc method which involves manual intervention to have the owner on terminate value populated.

Once the import of users is finished from all the sources, an analytics control can be created and scheduled to extract user and their manager's manager information. Using the data this control yields, you can perform a CSV upload which helps to populate the 'Owner on terminate' value in your version.

Once you're upgraded to latest version, you can then make use of directly selecting the option as secondary manager for 'Owner on terminate' and stop using the adhoc process.

Hope this helps your case.

Thanks,

Regards,
Pruthvi

Riku
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi

Thanks for this new idea, but we are totally not creating manually csv's every day, so that is not an option for us.

I think we are now going to stay using our current customquery solution and once we can upgrade to v23.x, we check if there are better ways available to do this automatically.

Regards

Riku