We are delighted to share our new EIC Delivery Methodology for efficiently managing Saviynt Implementations and delivering quick time to value. CLICK HERE.

How can I setup regex field for my password policy configuration?

IAMI
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hello,

I want to create a password policy that can only allow using alphanumeric characters except character a or A.

How should I configure regex to let it check no a or A typed?

I tried this but does not work: [b-z,B-Z,0-9]

Could you please help?

11 REPLIES 11

DaanishJawed
Saviynt Employee
Saviynt Employee

Hi @IAMI ,

Can you try the below and let me know?

(?=.*[b-z])(?=.*[B-Z])(?=.*[0-9])

IAMI
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hello Daanish, Thanks for your help!

it does not work. see attached two screenshot. Can you please tweak it a little bit more?

sk
All-Star
All-Star

What the application you are trying to apply password policy? When you say didn't work what is the behaviour you are seeing?

Regards,
Saathvik
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos to help others facing similar issue.

IAMI
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hi SK, see above post with my screen shots. Hope you guys can help with a correct password policy that only allow alphanumeric characters but no A or a allowed.

another regex allow A or a but it must not be first character. if you could provide a regex for each requirement, it would be great.

1. If you are manually setting the password from UI then it follows the policy mentioned in policy attributes not the regex. Regex will come to place for auto generation/ random password generation. 

2. You can use policy like this ^[^Aa][(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z\])(?=.*[A-Z\])(?=.*[a-zA-Z\])]{7,8}$

Regards,
Saathvik
If this reply answered your question, please Accept As Solution and give Kudos to help others facing similar issue.

IAMI
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hello SK,

Thanks for your explanation. How can I enable auto password generation for a target endpoint? I have applied the password policy to endpoint, when I submit a new account request, I cannot where the new password generated and how to use it? I used JarConnector which looks can only receive manual password change request via ${arsTasks.getPassword()}. However, createAccount should also have a new password applied, but I cannot find it anywhere via CreateAccountJSON.

Thanks,

In CreateAccountJSON you can use  ${password} and map it to target password field. This variable will generate the password based on regex of the password policy attached to application

Regards,
Saathvik

IAMI
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hello Saathvik,

I have tried ${password} in CreateAccountJSON, it does not work. Can you help please?

The regex you gave me does not work either. if I put it in the policy. the manual password change will not work because no password satisfy the rule. if regex only apply to auto password generation, why does it block my manual change password request?

What is the error you are seeing with ${password}?

In policy can you change Minimum Alpha Numeric Characters value from 8 to 7 and see if that fixes it

Regards,
Saathvik

IAMI
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hi Saathvik,

once I use it in CreateAccountJSON, all parameters in CreateAccountJSON will not be converted to its actual value. this setting will affect all other parameters, I don't know why:

"acct_pwd":"${password}"

For the manual password change, once I remove the setting from regex filed, it will work, otherwise it will not work. that means regex setting affect manual password change.

Hi @IAMI ,

1. Can you share a screenshot of the password policy that you are using?

2. Can you also share the entire JSON that you are using ? Also, what is the type of connector you are using?

Thanks.